Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

Assistant: How can I help? I would like to us if I can annul

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I would like to us if I can annul the marriage after I just found out that while I was getting married, my husband to be was expecting a baby with he ex girlfriend. I have DNA tests to prove thay the baby was born 5 months after our wedding. Can it be a good grounds to annul our marriage.? Thank you
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Nothing just found out few hours ago
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: West midlands Coventry
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know if I can annul the marriage. I know that marriage can be annuled on the grounds when a bride is being pregnant However not opposite way around. When husband to be is expecting the baby from the ex gild

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. I am afraid him having made his ex pregnant is not of itself grounds for annulment.

There are two grounds for annulling a marriage in the UK. You must either show that the marriage was not legally valid i.e. the marriage is ‘void’ or that the marriage is defective i.e. ‘voidable’.

Reasons your marriage may not have been legally valid include:

• You and your spouse are closely related
  • Either spouse was under 16 at the time of the marriage
  • Either spouse was already married at the time of the marriage

If your marriage is considered void due to one of these reasons, or for any other reason, it will be considered to have never existed under the law. However, you will likely need paperwork to prove that marriage was void if you wish to get married again in future.

Reasons your marriage may be considered defective include:

• If the marriage was not consummated i.e. you and your spouse have not had sex since the wedding (this option is not currently open to same-sex couples)
  • You did not properly consent to the marriage e.g. you were drunk or coerced
  • Your spouse had a sexually transmitted disease when you got married
  • Your spouse was pregnant with someone else’s child when you married

To have a defective marriage annulled, you will need to apply to a divorce court for an annulment. You can of course divorce him. Please rate 5 stars

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi under of of the defective grounds is if spouse was pregnant by someone else when married. In my case its opposite around. Husband to be. Was expecting the baby which he must have known about but never told me
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It's ok. Dont need to call talk on the phone
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have not seen to be charged 44 before I clicked
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can you please answer my question above.?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am awaiting for your answer

I very much see your point. It’s very unfair but your circumstances are technically different to the annulment grounds. That’s key. You do of course have grounds for divorce. Please rate 5 stars

I see you no longer require the call