How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6013
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I would like advice on Child support. my ex husband lives in

This answer was rated:

I would like advice on Child support.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: my ex husband lives in Spain, he is Spanish. I have trouble getting him to pay for his 2 sons even though there is a court order in pkace
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Not recently.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Was the court order made in the UK or Spain?

How is he not keeping up with the payments, and has he given a good reason?

Hello, I didn't hear from you.

Can I assist you further with your question?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi peter. The court order was made in the UK.
He has now put in the back dated money he owes me, as l said that l would contact the courts. But l haven’t been paid the RPI which was also in the court order. He has now agreed to pay this, but I’m unsure of how much he owes me.

OK, of course. Do you have the yearly amount of child maintenance?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The court order was made in 2005. The global maintenance then was £300 per child, l have 3 children. Then in around 2008/9 he decided to reduce the amount to £800 for all 3 children. In 2016 he no longer had to pay for my daughter. In around 2015 we went back to court as he claimed to not be doing so well financially (it was all a lie and l was totally ambushed. The judge accused me of taking money from my ex when l shouldn’t have been, it was all lies and l have the transcripts of that court date, which the judge did not want released!! I had already got them) so my money was reduced from £300 per child (in the original court order he was told to pay in £’s but the last judge said he was to pay in euros) and it was the sum of €150 per child.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has until 2021 to pay, that’s when my 2 boys finish in further education.

OK. So you need to do the following:

Work out the amount for each year paid under the current order.

Then use an RPI calculator to adjust the amounts - I'll send a link to one (it says it's for rent reviews but the formula is the same, as the RPI is the same, so it will serve the purpose you need it to. You'll have to either do an overall calculation with the total amount paid over the years and have the RPI as a lump sum figure, or work on a year by year basis to get real time increases as you go.

This should give the increases for the RPI.

The link is here:

I hope this helps?


I didn’t receive confirmation that you received my response to your question.

Was there anything that needed clarifying at all?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry Peter, that was rude. I meant to reply but got distracted.
Yes, thank you for your reply.

My pleasure.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK will do.