plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I have a form from a mediation centre that a family court

I have a form from a mediation centre that a family court requires
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: what are my next steps
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Gloucestershire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: its about changing my daughters name

Hello, my name is Peter and I’ll do my best to help you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

How can I assist with this?

Has the mediator signed the form to say you can proceed to court?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yes she has. I have a c100 form .

My daughter is registered in my name which is Parker. She had no contact with her biological father for 4 years and before that it was very irregular.
I am getting married and would like her name to change much like mine will.
Her biological father has not responded to the mediation and will not talk to me about it but I’m worried to go to a family court.
Is this my only option ?
Thank you for your time . Holly

Of course.

Family court is your only option I'm afraid, as you will need a court order to change your daughter's name if her father will not give consent.

The courts are reluctant to completely remove birth father's names, but if you present a good case there is a chance of success - the lack of contact is important but not necessarily an indication that he wont become more of a father in the future.

Often the court prefers a double barrelled option, if at all possible, this is perhaps something you should be prepared to consider as a compromise.

Is there anything in particular I can clarify for you?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She doesn’t have his name she is in my name on her birth certificate but is down under the father.
When you say double barrelled do you mean that he gets contact with her ?

No it has nothing to do with contact. And if the father's name is not her surname then you have a much stronger case to change the surname.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
You mean two surnames . Sorry I mis understood.
Thank you for your time I think I need to slept on it X

No problem at all.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter