How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5218
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in

This answer was rated:

Hi im
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: Yes I filed for family court and it’s in 2 weeks
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: It’s in Ipswich
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

Hello, my name is Peter and I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

How can I help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi sorry I’ve just wrote a really long thing with my questions in and sent it

OK - I've found it - I'll copy into this thread and we can carry on here. Just let me read and digest and I'll come back to you.

Your reply:

Hi I’m in family court in 2 weeks because my daughters mum will not follow the parenting plan we agreed at mediation 18 moths ago.
The agreement is I have my 6 year old every other weekend and a midweek evening for dinner but not over night.
The agreement is that her mum would meet at location half way with my daughter where we would eat and I would drop my daughter back home when we’re done and in time for bedtime. Her mum refuses to drop her off but cos they live quite far away there’s not enough time for me to go get my daughter take her out then drop her back home, there’s just no places to eat where they live. So for over a year I’ve had no midweek time with my daughter also her mum takes away my weekends when ever she likes and when there have been exchanges her mum insists on bringing her boy friend who has confronted me in a threatening manor and also listens to our conversations from his vehicle which obviously makes exchanges very very uncomfortable. I’ve asked her mum to stop bringing him but he’s there wiv her everytime. When I am allowed weekends I have to pick her up and drop her off, her mum point blank refuses to do any journeys. There’s no problem with the transportation, 2 working vehicles in the house hold she just says if I want to see my daughter I’ll get her and pick her up. There’s been no abuse and I pay my maintenance every month, mum just refuses to follow parenting plan because she just doesn’t want to.
Also in the holidays i get no extra days which I want to change. That’s pretty much my story leading up to court.
My questions are will the court make her stick to our original and agreed parenting plan, every other weekend and midweek dinner with the already agreed transport of my daughter?
Will I be given for example in half term holidays 1 or 2 extra days if I give enough notice to mum, and maybe a week or 2 in summer holidays.
Also to improve communication and hostilities between me and mum can I ask for the boyfriend to not attend exchanges anymore?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I’m representing myself in court and I used to see my daughter every weekend from 2 years old to 4 and we split journeys and me and mum had a very good relationship. It all changed when the boyfriend came along and she wanted a new parenting plan that she just had no intention of following.

OK, firstly apologies for the short delay in coming back to you.

My view on the basis of what you have stated is that yes, you should get the agreed plan of the midweek plus weekend contact agreed by the court, and there is no reason why the mother should not be sharing the transportation as far as I can see.

You would also be completely justified in asking for extra contact during school holiday time, and the court would most likely grant this.

The key is that you had a reasonable agreement, which has been continuously breached, also without good reason, and that you need the security of a court order to protect the precious time that you have with your daughter.

When people represent themselves in court it is easy to get into a 'tit for tat' exchange with the other side - remember that the court isn't deciding what's in your best interests, it's deciding what is in the best interests of your child. So always focus on that.

I hope this assists?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ah thank you I’m so relieved at your advise, the mediator told me at the joint mediation a few months ago that mum didn’t turn up to exactly what u just said. I’ll be sure to take your advise on board. One more question, will I be able to ask for the boy friend to not be in attendance when mum drops my daughter off especially as he’s been confrontational in the past?

Yes I think that is a reasonable request, given the history. There's no reason he should be there.

I hope this clarifies things.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,



plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh and one more thing, my daughters not even allowed a photo of me in her room nor is she allowed to phone me, can I ask for her to have a photo in her room?
Is there anything else I should I should ask for that I’m missing out?

Your daughter should be allowed to have a photo of you in her room. And she should be able to call you too, mum shouldn't be able to prevent this.