How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5993
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I have seperated from my husband, our house is own jointly

This answer was rated:

I have seperated from my husband, our house is own jointly and is mortgage free, it is currently on the market to be sold however he is refusing to allow viewings, what can i do? Can i sell my 50% through equity release for example?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England, Lincolnshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None so far, unfortunately we are still both living in the house, we have had some viewings however for the last month he has refused to let the estate in with prospective purchasers, i work away Monday to Friday so this is now becoming a real problem
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He has mental health problems and is not engaging with any professionals will this make a difference
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!

Hello, my name is*****'m a barrister and will do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Have you applied for a divorce through the courts yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you for responding, no i have not yet applied for a divorce, my thought was that i could after a year of seperation so this is something that i shall be doing very soon as we seperated on 03/12/18

OK - you don't have to wait a year, especially if you are applying under the grounds of his unreasonable behaviour, which it sounds like you will be.

The reason I enquired about the divorce is that the court can step in and give you sole conduct of the sale, for example, if he is obstructing this. So once you are in the court system, you can ask for assistance with the issues that you are having.

I hope this gives you some reassurance?

plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5993
Experience: Barrister at law
plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that is really helpful -thank you