How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6650
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I need to know how estate law works in England. My aunt

This answer was rated:

I need to know how estate law works in England. My aunt (Spanish citizen) lives in Kent. She has no children, never married, and does not have a partner. My mother, so her sister, and I live abroad. She has not made a will and is currently in a artificial coma. The day she dies, who will benefit and how will it proceed?



What assets does she own in the UK and abroad?


How long has she been living in the UK for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She owns a house and savings accounts only in UK and she has been living in UK more than 40 years.

Thank you


In that case, English intestate law will apply. Apart from your mother and yourself, does she have other relatives?



Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay. No, there is only us left.
Sorry for my English, it's not my mother thong.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her brother and parents dies few yeara ago

Thank you.


In that case, everything would belong to your mother under intestacy law.


Your mother would need to apply for Letters of Administration:


All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for the informations, I 'll read carefully.
My mother is not in a position to travel to England. Is it possible for her to do everything abroad, or is there a way for me to take care of her in her place? I come very regularly to London.

Please accept to continue

UKSolicitorJA and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you.


Your mother may appoint someone in the UK to act for her in connection with this e.g. a Probate law firm. You may be the go between.


You may contact this firm:



Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Thanks.

You are welcome and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yes, I guess we'll need a lot of luck!