UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I need to know how estate law works in England. My aunt

I need to know how estate law works in England. My aunt (Spanish citizen) lives in Kent. She has no children, never married, and does not have a partner. My mother, so her sister, and I live abroad. She has not made a will and is currently in a artificial coma. The day she dies, who will benefit and how will it proceed?

What assets does she own in the UK and abroad?

How long has she been living in the UK for?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
She owns a house and savings accounts only in UK and she has been living in UK more than 40 years.

In that case, English intestate law will apply. Apart from your mother and yourself, does she have other relatives?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay. No, there is only us left.
Sorry for my English, it's not my mother thong.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Her brother and parents dies few yeara ago

In that case, everything would belong to your mother under intestacy law.

Your mother would need to apply for Letters of Administration: https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk/media-centre/articles-jan-apr-2018/how-to-get-a-letter-of-administration/

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks for the informations, I 'll read carefully.
My mother is not in a position to travel to England. Is it possible for her to do everything abroad, or is there a way for me to take care of her in her place? I come very regularly to London.

Please accept to continue

Your mother may appoint someone in the UK to act for her in connection with this e.g. a Probate law firm. You may be the go between.

You may contact this firm: https://www.irwinmitchell.com/personal/probate/international-probate

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok. Thanks.

You are welcome and good luck.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes, I guess we'll need a lot of luck!