IA Solicitors
IA Solicitors, Solicitor
Experience:  Principal at IA Solicitors
105500460

I'm looking to get married in the UK. My fiance and I are

Hi there, I'm looking to get married in the UK.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: My fiance and I are both EU citizens, my question is around residence requirements. We have both lived in the UK for the past 2.5 years. For the past 6 months, however, we have not had a permanent residence where we register with council tax. We have lived at hotels and services/corporate apartments around London due to my frequency of travel for work. I am wondering what we need to do here to prove our residency in the UK to some local council in order to register for a marriage certificate
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: We have not yet filed anything. We are, at this point, unsure even of which court to go to. You say courts are run at the county-level? In that case, Greater London.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I suppose that's all the information I have for now

What kind of documentary proofs you have for your residence in UK for last 6 months?

Where are you living now?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can provide a shorthold lease contract through June this year (as well as Council Tax and Utilities with both our names for that residence). From June through October, I can provide various hotel invoices as well as a 3-month lease on a serviced apartment (although I believe the building classifies itself as a hotel rather than residential apartments).
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Since October 26th, I've been out of country. I do not maintain any permanent residence in the UK due to frequent travel globally, although we both are in the UK most of the year.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
At least 181 days a year
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I do, however, own a business in the UK, which has a permanent address. I don't know if that helps the case.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I also filed a self-assessment tax return in the UK this year and am considered a tax resident.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
34;Since October 26th, I've been out of country. I do not maintain any permanent residence in the UK due to frequent travel globally, although we both are in the UK most of the year."To clarify this comment, what I mean is that I do not maintain a permanent address in the UK. As in, I am currently outside the UK and will return within a few weeks, at which point I will lease another serviced/corporate apartment on a month-to-month basis until I leave again.

I can help you for your concerns.

When you will be back and will take an apartment on rent. Then you can use your tenancy agreement as residence proof.

or

your landlord can issue you a letter that you are living in his property.

I hope it will help you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you! Just to clarify, even if this is a serviced/corporate apartment for, say 3 months, which doesn't go via the normal shorthold tenancy channels, and on which you usually don't pay coucil tax, this will count as well?

it will count with your landlord letter.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I see. Thank you!

Welcome

please give positive rating by pressing stars on top right corners of your screen