Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I am a guarantor for my granddaughter. I have been advised

I am a guarantor for my granddaughter. I have been advised by the landlord that she is £5800 in arrears. I was first notified of arrears of £3200 in June & have been in regular contact with my granddaughter since then when she has assured me she was sorting it out, however obviously not. I have also been in regular contact with the landlord who has been very patient & helpful but has now given two months notice to leave. Where do I stand on all this?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I gave the landlord one months notice that I no longer wish to be guarantor which he has accepted. I have all the letters from the landlord & messages to & from my granddaughter but have not had any legal advice.
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Seaford East Sussex. I didn’t enter into this lightly & was assured that the £800 rent was covered by £600 housing benefits with the balance of £200 being paid by her children’s father.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a pensioner.

Hello my name is Ross and I can help

What is it you are asking exactly, are you asking if you are liable for the payments or if you can pursue the father for the sums payable etc?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Both really

Thank you for the information. So, if you are guarantor then you are legally liable for any sums which have not been paid by the tenant. However, you will have to establish who is at fault for the non-payment. If it is your granddaughter, then sadly, she has not done her part and the costs have fallen to you as a result of you being guarantor (at least for the time you were as I understand you are now not). However, if it is due to the father not paying his sums, then you will need to make a legal application against him. In law you should not suffer financially as a result of his negligence (failure to pay) and therefore you could raise an actions against him for any losses you have incurred. Sadly, these are the risks of being a guarantor.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross