plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My father in law died recently and his eldest son as

My father in law died recently and his eldest son as executor of the will he had left my mother in law a sum of money and he son has said that he is going to see if his solicitor can do anything to help him stop her from being able to spend it and he has upset her has he got any rights to tell her what she has to spend and if I am correct in saying that it is her money and she can use it as she sees fit thanks
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No it was just the will
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Dont know which court she lives in kirriemuir
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She only lost her husband to suicide as he had vascular dementia and he had made His eldest son executor of the will and he is demanding to know what she is spending the money on and he has caused her so much pain
Assistant: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?
Customer: No my father in law took his on life in August this year
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
He is trying to see if he can find a way of taking control of her and the money and the way he is treating her I know his dad would be very disappointed in him

Hello, my name is Peter and I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

If she has been left a sum of money in the will, this money is hers to do with as she wishes. Unless the will states that she is holding this (or some of this) on trust for the son, he would have no legal or beneficial interest in the money. Therefore he has no say in how she spends it.

The only other possible issue would be if he was challenging the will and seeking provision for himself (if not provided for). But if the will has already been through probate this is not likely to be the case.

Can I clarify anything?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
That is great I am sure this will Ease her mind a little thank you so much for your help Peter from Margaret Ann Dryden

My pleasure.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

plclegal, Barrister
Experience: Barrister at law