How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6436
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My father in law died recently and his eldest son as

This answer was rated:

My father in law died recently and his eldest son as executor of the will he had left my mother in law a sum of money and he son has said that he is going to see if his solicitor can do anything to help him stop her from being able to spend it and he has upset her has he got any rights to tell her what she has to spend and if I am correct in saying that it is her money and she can use it as she sees fit thanks
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No it was just the will
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Dont know which court she lives in kirriemuir
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She only lost her husband to suicide as he had vascular dementia and he had made His eldest son executor of the will and he is demanding to know what she is spending the money on and he has caused her so much pain
Assistant: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?
Customer: No my father in law took his on life in August this year
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is trying to see if he can find a way of taking control of her and the money and the way he is treating her I know his dad would be very disappointed in him
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

If she has been left a sum of money in the will, this money is hers to do with as she wishes. Unless the will states that she is holding this (or some of this) on trust for the son, he would have no legal or beneficial interest in the money. Therefore he has no say in how she spends it.

The only other possible issue would be if he was challenging the will and seeking provision for himself (if not provided for). But if the will has already been through probate this is not likely to be the case.

Can I clarify anything?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That is great I am sure this will Ease her mind a little thank you so much for your help Peter from Margaret Ann Dryden

My pleasure.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6436
Experience: Barrister at law
plclegal and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you