How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1602
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

My daughter's ex husband was a controller. She was the main

This answer was rated:

My daughter's ex husband was a controller. She was the main bread winner and he would give her £50 a week for shopping which was to include petrol and nappies for their2 young girls. She divorced him, but obviously he had access to the children. The courts ruled in his favour when he told the Judge he was sleeping in his car and had nowhere to live. My daughter had a house before he met her and he persuaded her to rent that out and get a mortgage on another home. The judge stipulated he was to have that house so he had a home where the children could visit at weekends etc. Her ex had a barrister and she couldn't afford a solicitor, so that home went to him. The Judge then said if she remarried or rented out the property she would have to sell the home and he would get half the proceeds. He has NEVER moved into the said property but as soon as the court proceedings were over contacted the Estate Agent and had my daughter's name taken off the rental. He moved into his new home he bought in conjunction with his parents 2 weeks after the hearing. He had obviously purchased that long before it went to court so he lied to the Judge about having no where to live. Not long after that we noticed the girls were becoming very sexually aware at the ages of 3 and 4 and contacted Social Services. It has been an absolute nightmare for 7 years and it all came to light when my oldest Granddaughter at 11 years old said she wanted too speak to the police. He has been sexually abusing her since she was 4. The Crown prosecution felt that she is not old enough to deal with what's happened but can when she is older take it further. She was and still is traumatised and is seeing a psychologist who has said she is suffering with PTSD. I am sorry this is so lengthy, but I want you to have an understanding of where this is going. Both my oldest granddaughter and my daughter were afraid of him because even with a court order telling him not to enter the home after they were divorced, he continued to do so. For her and her childrens safety she left England and has moved to Scotland. She told the police and Social Services not to let him know where they were. It's been 2 years and suddenly she has received a court letter telling her she has to appear in March regarding her renting out the property and therefore she will have to sell it. The rent she gets from this pays for her rent in Scotland plus throughout the whole ordeal she is suffering with the debilitating disease of fibromyalgia and can't work. He is relentless in wanting to take everything away from her. He even tried to get the girls put into foster care, that's another story. Anyway the problem she now faces is because she lives in Scotland she can't be represented under legal aid in England. She has rung Solicitors in England and she can't get legal aid because she lives in Scotland. What can she do?
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm are you looking for free/cheap Representation?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Free representation. As I said in my text she can't get legal aid and she can't work because she has Fybromyalgia.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I need to come back to you on this as my husband has a hospital appointment as he had advanced Prostate Cancer. We need to get him ready as he's disabled. It never rains but it pours. Once we are back from the hospital can I give you a ring?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How much do you charge if you call me?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Still waiting for a response!

Hi, thank you for your message. I do not take phone calls but can answer your question here.

You might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/ contacting a LawWorks Clinic. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:

You could also contact the Citizens Advice Bureau ( For more information please visit: or Personal Support Unit for advice about a legal problem (For more information please visit: while your case is happening. Moreover, you can get help with court fees if you are on low income. Please visit this link for more information:

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Joy Nicholas and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you