How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4049
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I need some advice with the following please thank you.

Customer Question

Good evening. I need some advice with the following please thank you.Yesterday at around 4pm, I received a document from the high court of justice family division asking me/ my legal representative to appear in court on Monday 02/12/19 at 10:30 am for the hearing of a child custody case brought against me by my ex husband who resides in Belgium. Ideally I'd like to find an appropriate lawyer to represent me on Monday but given the short timeframe, I'm not sure how successful I will be getting one in the time I've got. My first question is:1:how do I go about getting a lawyer who specialises in cross border child custody cases and am I likely to find one by tomorrow?2: if I don't get an appropriate lawyer by tomorrow, I aim to show up in court on Monday morning and ask that the case be adjourned to give me enough time to instruct a lawyer. Is my request likely to be honoured given that the documents state that I should be served by the 18/11/19 and I only got the papers on the 29/11/19. Is there a likelihood that I would be forced to give evidence just for the mere fact that I am present in court?Thank you,
Ms. J
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 8 months ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. I am sorry to hear of your situation. Weekends are a difficult time however some firms do have duty cover during weekends or emergency numbers that you can call. I would say go on the lawsociety website and use their search solicitor search box and you can filter to find family lawyers local to you and you literally just have to go on their websites and make calls.

Now if you can show that you only got served yesterday and if you appear not represented you stand a good chance of getting the matter adjourned because there would be no real point on going ahead if you have not got the time to bring yourself to speed with the claim brought against you. Check your home insurance policy or any other policies you may have too just in case you have cover for legal expenses and you could give them a call to see if this is a type of dispute they would cover, if they do you will have taken care of the headache of finding a solicitor yourself. I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best