plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

What is the criteria to qualify for legal aid? nothing yet.

Customer Question

What is the criteria to qualify for legal aid?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: nothing yet. The separation is just happening. My ex will be moving out and she is not agreeing good terms for me to see my son
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: coventry or possibly leamington spa
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is Peter and I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm reviewing your question and will revert back to you shortly.

Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

I'm afraid that legal aid is rarely granted in the family court these days, and only exclusively in cases where a party is the victim of domestic abuse.

However, you can represent yourself in the family court, and the fees for going to court are not as high as people imagine.

Would it help if I set out the process of going to court for you here?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yes please
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

No problem at all.

]Mediation has to be the first point of call as it is a legal requirement prior to issuing an application in the family court.

The process is started by booking a mediation assessment appointment - see here for a link to find your local mediator:

http://www.nfm.org.uk/. Assessments are usually around £30-£40, and the mediator will advise as to how many sessions might be required.

Following that, if the mediation does not succeed in a successful resolution, you can apply to the family court for a child arrangements order, setting out the living arrangements and contact arrangements that you would like to see.

This is on form c100:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-c100-application-under-the-children-act-1989-for-a-child-arrangements-prohibited-steps-specific-issue-section-8-order-or-to-vary-or-discharge

You send 3 copies of this form to the local family court centre. There will be a court hearing after you send the form in and a family court adviser will be there in attendance too (from CAFCASS).

The application costs £215.00, and you can represent yourself so you don't need to engage a lawyer. You can possibly get a fee exemption if you are on low income/have low savings. You would need to fill out a fee exemption form (http://www.gov.uk/get-help-with-court-fees)

I hope this helps - can I clarify anything at this stage?

Expert:  plclegal replied 9 days ago.

Hello.

I didn’t receive confirmation that you received my response.

Was there anything that needed clarifying at all?

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 8 days ago.

Hello.

I didn’t receive confirmation that you received my response to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 5 days ago.

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me - but bear in mind this is an email service and not live chat so you may not get an instant reply.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 2 days ago.

Can I assist you further with your question?

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (top right of your screen) I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter