Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I live with my boyfriend he owns the house we have a 3 year

I live with my boyfriend he owns the house we have a 3 year old son if he dies his will is still made out to his ex would I be able to stay in the house with our son

Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm is he giving his house to his ex in his will? Is she his ex wife?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi no they were never married just together for about 15 years had a son who is now 19 they separated when he was 8?my bf paid her £500k she left and brought her own house he owns several yards and the house we currently live in yes still need an answer please as we have a 3 year old and if my bf died I want to know our position legally ? He made his will when his first son was born but since then I have helped him expand his business that is in my name and I’m 100% share holder but it’s our home I’m more worried about as we built the house his ex and oldest son has never lived in it they used to live in old house on our estate but it burnt down in 2008 and we rebuilt new bigger house hope this helps x

Hi, thank you for your message. If you do not own the house you have no rights to his house unless he sets it out in a new will. Within the will he can create a life interest in the house where he specifies that you can stay in the house until death if he dies. I would advise that you speak to him about your concerns as you have both invested in the property. If you decide to create a new will you should contact a solicitor in your area to help you draft the will with a life interest trust. You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (you will be able to search by area of expertise and location).

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner and just answer will credit me for helping you.

Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer