JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have 3 children by a previous partner, I have always paid

I have 3 children by a previous partner, I have always paid maintenance every month of £500/£600 for the last 8yrs. I am now married to someone else and we have a house on a joint mortgage. Would my ex be entitled to anything in terms of this please?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have not taken any steps
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Peterborough (Cambs)
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Were you married to your previous partner and if so, when you divorced, was a consent order lodged with the family court?.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Good morning Jim. No we were not married just living together

Thanks, in which case they have no claim at all against your new house or anything else. The reason being they have very limited rights as an unmarried partner. If they had paid towards the mortgage or for home improvements (say they are not on the deeds) then they can ask the court to recognise their contributions and have a beneficial interest established - but as this doesn't apply to you then there is no way they have a claim.

Clearly, child maintenance is payable but that's it.

(Sorry, I cannot take a call at the moment. If no one calls you then you will not be charged for it. However, the call request is open to all experts - if you want to cancel the call then please send an email to [email protected].

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim