plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I did get in touch with you the other day I lived in

Hi I did get in touch with you the other day I lived in Australia for 21 years and I'm now back in the uk with my 13 year old daughter
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven't
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My ex partner who lives in Australia will not pay me what I'm entitled too and I am struggling to pay the rent etc, I've been back 3 years now.

Hello, my name is Peter, I’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will come back to you shortly with a response.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok Thankyou

Is the arrangement you have in a court order or signed agreement at all? Were you married?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I won't ring at the moment as its abit late.
I am not sure if you can help me because my ex partner is In Australia and I moved back to the UK 3 years ago. We were not married but lived in a de-facto relationship, which is like being married . I lived other there with him for 21 years and have 3 children ( 21 and 24 years old sons) and our 13 year old daughter who is with me.
I would like to point out that he has helped me out with money but I know I am entitled to half of what hes got. Also he owns 4 properties and I pay rent which I am struggling with. Also he does pay child maintenance.
Regards Helen

Thanks for the information Helen.

I'm really sorry about the situation that you are in, and I have to say it isn't great news from me.

Legally, if you are not married, then in fact you are not under UK law entitled to anything from him - the only commitment he has to pay by law is child maintenance, which you say he does pay.

Without being married, you aren't actually entitled to anything from him I'm afraid.

I appreciate this is going to be something you did not expect to hear, but it is the law in the UK.

Is there anything specifically that you would like me to clarify about this though?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I know that I only have to be with someone for 3 years and then I am entitled to half of what hes got, because being in a defacto relationship is the same as being married. I was going to try and get this sorted before I left Australia but he assured me he would give me money and not to get solicitor's involved and I believed him. Is there anything you can do at all? Should I try and get in touch with legal aid over there?
Regards Helen

There's nothing under UK law - so I would suggest contacting a lawyer in Australia as the law is clearly very different to the law in the UK on this issue.

I hope this clarifies things for you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am probably screwed. Thankyou for your help.
Regards Helen

I'm sure you will have better luck with the Australian system.

If you have further questions relating to the UK, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok will do
Thanks Peter