plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My British son is moving to Singapore, I am irish. His

My British son is moving to Singapore, I am irish. His mother wants his to become a Singapore citizen. Do I give up my parental rights if Iet the childs nationality change. I assume he would be under the law of that country and I could do nothing?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I know the answer

Hello, my name is Peter, I’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will come back to you shortly with a response.

You won't give up your parental rights if he becomes a citizen of Singapore - and you can of course ask for dual citizenship status.

His right to contact with you will still exist regardless of where in the world he lives. Moving from the UK and being awarded citizenship somewhere else does not extinguish these rights.

Further, if you don't agree to the move the mother would have to go through the courts to obtain permission as without permission (yours or the courts') this is child abduction.

Can I clarify anything further at this stage?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks, Singapore does not allow dual citizenship

OK - other than that point (I'm a UK lawyer so was not aware) nothing else about the advice changes - your parental rights are not removed just because he moves from the UK.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter