How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My British son is moving to Singapore, I am irish. His

This answer was rated:

My British son is moving to Singapore, I am irish. His mother wants his to become a Singapore citizen. Do I give up my parental rights if Iet the childs nationality change. I assume he would be under the law of that country and I could do nothing?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I know the answer

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will come back to you shortly with a response.

You won't give up your parental rights if he becomes a citizen of Singapore - and you can of course ask for dual citizenship status.

His right to contact with you will still exist regardless of where in the world he lives. Moving from the UK and being awarded citizenship somewhere else does not extinguish these rights.

Further, if you don't agree to the move the mother would have to go through the courts to obtain permission as without permission (yours or the courts') this is child abduction.

Can I clarify anything further at this stage?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, Singapore does not allow dual citizenship

OK - other than that point (I'm a UK lawyer so was not aware) nothing else about the advice changes - your parental rights are not removed just because he moves from the UK.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you