plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I have recently sold my house and moved in with my partner,

I have recently sold my house and moved in with my partner, the plan was that she would also sell her house and we would get something bigger together. She has now decided that she doesn't want to move and the resultant discussions are making the relationship very difficult, and she now wants me to move out. I really don't want to waste money renting a house while I sort out a new home, but don't know if I have any right to stay?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Started looking for a new home to buy and had a mortgage interview
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's the main details

Hello, my name is Peter, I’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can you confirm -

1. Are you married?

2. Do you pay rent to your partner?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Not married, and yes paid rent although just once so far as we've been to bother 4years but living together in her house for one month

OK, thank you.

My view is that I'm afraid that you don't have the right to occupy her home. She would have to give you reasonable notice to leave but you haven't established a right to reside there I'm afraid.

I appreciate you were perhaps expecting this but hoping for better news.

Can I clarify anything at this stage?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No that's great thanks. Live and learn !!

Thanks for confirming receipt.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

plclegal, Barrister
Experience: Barrister at law