How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6377
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I have recently sold my house and moved in with my partner,

This answer was rated:

I have recently sold my house and moved in with my partner, the plan was that she would also sell her house and we would get something bigger together. She has now decided that she doesn't want to move and the resultant discussions are making the relationship very difficult, and she now wants me to move out. I really don't want to waste money renting a house while I sort out a new home, but don't know if I have any right to stay?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Started looking for a new home to buy and had a mortgage interview
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's the main details

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can you confirm -

1. Are you married?

2. Do you pay rent to your partner?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not married, and yes paid rent although just once so far as we've been to bother 4years but living together in her house for one month

OK, thank you.

My view is that I'm afraid that you don't have the right to occupy her home. She would have to give you reasonable notice to leave but you haven't established a right to reside there I'm afraid.

I appreciate you were perhaps expecting this but hoping for better news.

Can I clarify anything at this stage?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No that's great thanks. Live and learn !!

Thanks for confirming receipt.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6377
Experience: Barrister at law
plclegal and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you