John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I was in a relationship for four years. I was given a mobile

I was in a relationship for four years. I was given a mobile phone for my use and now he asking for phone to be returned or pay £300. When split we shared a rented house and I bought most furniture and when we left he took most of it. Do I return it or keep it.

Hi my name is John. Please note this is not a chat service so there may be delays in responding.

Is the phone contract in his name or was it bought outright?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It was in his name but contract may have ended.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Court case against him for domestic violence towards me.

Hello thanks for your patience. When he gave you the phone if he at any point made out he wanted it back at some point then you would have to return it. But I feel this may not be the case and if not then it can be said he gave you the phone as a gift.

The legal definition of a gift is a voluntary transfer of property from one to another. The transfer must be made without any consideration (that is, without an expectation of receiving compensation in return) so on this basis, it can be said the phone is now yours and you do not have to return it, because it was a gift.

Does this help at all? If so, please take a moment to provide a positive rating, kind regards, John.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Also I was in relationships with first husband for eight years and he did not disclose his property which was paying for. We lived in it for a year. So can advise if I can claim. House is in joint name with mother and they are selling it.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
How do I put claim in
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Divorce was done online in Dec 2016
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Eight years from this date

Hello and sorry for the late reply.

You will have to create a new thread for that question as it is outside my expertise and different to your original question. You will therefore need the correct expert. Please do rate my service before you leave. Kind regards, John.