How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John LLB Your Own Question
John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 833
Experience:  8 years legal experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
John LLB is online now

I was in a relationship for four years. I was given a mobile

This answer was rated:

I was in a relationship for four years. I was given a mobile phone for my use and now he asking for phone to be returned or pay £300. When split we shared a rented house and I bought most furniture and when we left he took most of it. Do I return it or keep it.

Hi my name is John. Please note this is not a chat service so there may be delays in responding.

Is the phone contract in his name or was it bought outright?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was in his name but contract may have ended.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Court case against him for domestic violence towards me.

Hello thanks for your patience. When he gave you the phone if he at any point made out he wanted it back at some point then you would have to return it. But I feel this may not be the case and if not then it can be said he gave you the phone as a gift.

The legal definition of a gift is a voluntary transfer of property from one to another. The transfer must be made without any consideration (that is, without an expectation of receiving compensation in return) so on this basis, it can be said the phone is now yours and you do not have to return it, because it was a gift.

Does this help at all? If so, please take a moment to provide a positive rating, kind regards, John.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also I was in relationships with first husband for eight years and he did not disclose his property which was paying for. We lived in it for a year. So can advise if I can claim. House is in joint name with mother and they are selling it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I put claim in
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Divorce was done online in Dec 2016
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Eight years from this date

Hello and sorry for the late reply.

You will have to create a new thread for that question as it is outside my expertise and different to your original question. You will therefore need the correct expert. Please do rate my service before you leave. Kind regards, John.

John LLB and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you