Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I recently reported historic abuse, what do I have to do

I recently reported historic abuse, what do I have to do now, legally?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I am waiting on police to get in touch to tell me when they are going to arrest, I know it will be this month.
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: scotland, Aberdeenshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Sorry, you are in Scotland. Will opt out for others.

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter.

You have done the correct thing by reporting the issue to the police. What happens next is the police will investigate and potentially charge the person with the abuse. This will then get passed to the Procurator Fiscal. They will assess the case and make a decision whether or not to pursue the case. In these types of proceedings, it is the procurator fiscal who presses charges against he accused and not actually you. However, you will, of course, be part of the case and be the prime witness in relation to the matter. As draconian as it may sound, you do not have to do anything now except comply with what is asked of you from the price and the Procurator Fiscal in relation to the case. You will be given updates from the PF and police as to what is happening with the matter.

I hope this information has helped.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much.

You are very welcome and I wish you all the best moving forward.

Ross

Ross Miller,
Experience: Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions