How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1540
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I recently reported historic abuse, what do I have to do

This answer was rated:

I recently reported historic abuse, what do I have to do now, legally?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I am waiting on police to get in touch to tell me when they are going to arrest, I know it will be this month.
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: scotland, Aberdeenshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Sorry, you are in Scotland. Will opt out for others.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter.

You have done the correct thing by reporting the issue to the police. What happens next is the police will investigate and potentially charge the person with the abuse. This will then get passed to the Procurator Fiscal. They will assess the case and make a decision whether or not to pursue the case. In these types of proceedings, it is the procurator fiscal who presses charges against he accused and not actually you. However, you will, of course, be part of the case and be the prime witness in relation to the matter. As draconian as it may sound, you do not have to do anything now except comply with what is asked of you from the price and the Procurator Fiscal in relation to the case. You will be given updates from the PF and police as to what is happening with the matter.

I hope this information has helped.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much.

You are very welcome and I wish you all the best moving forward.

Kind regards


Ross Miller,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1540
Experience: Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Ross Miller and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you