Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I have been married for 11 years. I am still working but my

Customer Question

Good afternoon - I have been married for 11 years. I am still working but my husband retired 18 months ago. Is he entitled to some of my pension if we divorce?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have not taken any steps yet.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Hertfordshire.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all for now - thanks.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 17 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm what type of pension is it?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have a private pension which I have paid into for about 30 years and a work pension. I also have an old pension which has a small amount in which has not been paid into for many years.

HI, thank you for your message. Yes he is entitled to some of your pension.

courts deal with the pension arrangements in one of 3 ways.

1. You’re given a percentage share of your former partner’s pension pot

2. The value of a pension is offset against other assets

3. Some of your pension is paid to your former partner-This is like a maintenance payment directly from one person’s pension pot to their former spouse or civil partner.

I hope this helps. - if you can please accept the answer there will be a box to do so and give me a 5 star rating (top right corner of your screen) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 14 days ago.

Hi, I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.