plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My wife and I want to wait on 2 year separation for divorce

My wife and I want to wait on 2 year separation for divorce but need to legal bind finanacial arrangement now with clean break agreement
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Cornwall...important thing is to fix finances as she cant leave house without this
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have agreed a financial settlement

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

You say you have reached an agreement - is this drawn up in a document?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I have paid £5 fee I want you to find the answer to my question
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Agreement reached...now we want a fast iron legal agreement
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry...cast iron

Do you have the document for me to view, please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Verbal agreement...we want to know how to make it legally binding...what such a document is called and how we get it done

OK. Nothing will be completely legally binding until you have a divorce and your financial order.

However, you can draw up a separation agreement now - which should then form the blueprint for the financial order from the court. This is as long as:

1. It is fair to both parties; and

2. Both parties have had independent legal advice on its contents.

The judge in the divorce proceedings can always depart from this agreement if they feel it is not fair, but if conditions 1. and 2. above have been met it is more likely that the agreement will stand.

There is a template here:

https://www.lawdepot.co.uk/contracts/separation-agreement-united-kingdom/#.XhnajS2ZO8U

Can I clarify anything further at this stage for you?

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Can I assist you further with your question?

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (top right of your screen) I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Kind regards,

Peter

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Seen solicitor...all sorted

Perfect. Thanks for confirming.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

plclegal, Barrister
Experience: Barrister at law