Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

I need some advice on getting a divorce. the problem I have

Customer Question

hello, I need some advice on getting a divorce. the problem I have is my husband is from the Dominican republic. and still lives there. we were married in 2004, and I came back to England in 2005. I travelled there a few times after , haven't seen him or spoke to him since 2007,when his visa application was declined. he stopped contact. I have since been in a partnership with someone else, and I have found out he has too. he has also had daughter over there. my question is can I now after nearly 12 yrs get a quick divorce
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: a few yrs ago, I asked the question and was told I would have to have papers sent to him.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i don't think so
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 6 months ago.

Hi How Can I help?

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 6 months ago.

You would need to put down on your divorce papers that you are habitually resident in the UK (box to tick). You will require the original marriage certificate in support of the application. The court fee to file papers is £550. The court would subsequently issued sealed divorce papers and acknowledgment of service form for him to complete and return back to the UK.

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 6 months ago.