How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2334
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

I need some advice on getting a divorce. the problem I have

Customer Question

hello, I need some advice on getting a divorce. the problem I have is my husband is from the Dominican republic. and still lives there. we were married in 2004, and I came back to England in 2005. I travelled there a few times after , haven't seen him or spoke to him since 2007,when his visa application was declined. he stopped contact. I have since been in a partnership with someone else, and I have found out he has too. he has also had daughter over there. my question is can I now after nearly 12 yrs get a quick divorce
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: a few yrs ago, I asked the question and was told I would have to have papers sent to him.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i don't think so
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 6 months ago.

Hi How Can I help?

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 6 months ago.

You would need to put down on your divorce papers that you are habitually resident in the UK (box to tick). You will require the original marriage certificate in support of the application. The court fee to file papers is £550. The court would subsequently issued sealed divorce papers and acknowledgment of service form for him to complete and return back to the UK.

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 6 months ago.

Thank you