Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

I have a question about custody of my child Assistant: What

Hi I have a question about custody of my child
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet but likely to be soon. My ex partner has evidence of me drinking excessively and has video evidence. He is planning to use this to get full custody I think ...is it likely to succeed?
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Chester/ Cheshire in UK
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's an unhappy abusive relationship I have been trying to end for years

Hi How Can I help?

I have read your question and respond shortly-thank you

Hi How can I help?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Do you have a response to my initial question please?

How many children do you have and what are your current contact arrangements?

Sorry are you still there?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi I have 1 child and currently me and my (ex) partner live together but I want to separate - he doesn't and tells me he'll do anything he can to destroy my life and take aa much time with Sam our child at my expense if I do

Are you married?

Are you looking to apply for Divorce?

Or contact arrangements for your child

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi no we aren't married but we share a house and a little boy

Are you free to talk?

Is the house mortgage or rented and in joint names?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It's a joint names mortgage. It's not so much the house that I'm worried about really

Right - if you and your partner are unable to agree current contact arrangements, I would suggest that you seek mediation first with a mediator. If this fails or you cannot agree, you can apply for a Child Arrangements Order to your nearest family court. The court fee is £215.

If he being abusive and there is threat to you and your child you can apply to the court for a Non-Molestation Order against your partner to protect you and your child.

In respect of the COA - Cafcass will be involved and will be able to assist the court as to whom the child should live, whether contact should be shared etc.

Are you free to talk this may be better?

The court can also decide if you apply for a Occupation Order who should and should not live in the property. You may qualify for legal aid depending if you are on low income/savings

If you have any other questions, please do let me know.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks

I would appreciate if you could give me a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit - I would appreciate it.