How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5433
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I have split up with my husband of 10yrs. We have a mortgage

Customer Question

I have split up with my husband of 10yrs. We have a mortgage on our house solely in his name as I gave up work to have our daughter who is now 8, I am living in the house with her and my two other children. Can I stay in the house? Who will have to pay the mortgage?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lancaster England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have made an appointment at the job centre to see what benefits I’m entitled too.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have mobility problem so am likely to be able to receive PIP as well as universal credit, I have an IVA which is 1 year into
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, ultimately during the divorce there will be something called a financial separation where your assets and that of your husband will be divided. In essence the starting position is you will be entitled to half the house and other assets acquired during the marriage. In the interim you can stay in the house and if your husband is on the mortgage he should continue to pay otherwise the house can be repossessed. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.