ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

Myself and my partner have been together for 7 years, we

Myself and my partner have been together for 7 years, we have a house together which is in both our names, we also have 2 dogs. I'm not sure how to even begin with all the separating of our belongings or what legal rights I have etc?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No steps at all currently I had to call the police to get the to let me back into our home as he had locked me out and thought he was allowed to which the police explained he is not as my name is ***** ***** the deeds
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Plymouth in Devon
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all thank you

good day your question has been forwarded to me to se eif I may be able to assist.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi that's great thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just messages will be fine thank you I just need a rough idea on where to start and what I need to do

I am truly sorry that you are going through this.

As your name is ***** ***** property, you are entitled to an interest in it. if the property was jointly bought by you and you both contributed to the payment of the mortgage you should request a 50% interest in the equity of the property.

Unfortunately, animals are treated pretty much as chattels. As such, the person entitled to the dog would be the person who bought the dog. Therefore, if you bought the two dogs you can ask to keep them. You may however come to an agreement outside this general presumption as to what to do witht he dog.

It is always recommended that you attempt mediation prior to going to court. mediations are usually a cheap less litigious way of settling disputes.

I hope I was able to help. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly indicate by clicking on the stars at the top of the screen whether you have accepted the answer given.

best wishes

RL