ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

My biological mother in South Africa is now demanding a

Hi, my biological mother in South Africa is now demanding a maintenance payment from me.
JA: What steps has your mother taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Yesterday she sent me an sms, stating that her support payment had not come through. I had been sending her an amount (out of good will) and I had (as of December) stopped this.
JA: Has she talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: I suspect she must have as sometime last year she had claimed I needed to send her my passport details, along with a letter (addressed to those people {she had said were tax people}, indicating that the money I had been sending was a support payment).
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Up till December of last year, I was willing to send her money out of good will. My good will is over.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be of assistance.

As a child giving maintenance to parents is a matter of goodwill. She is therefore unable in law to take legal action to foce you to continue to make this payment.

I hope I was able to help. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly indicate by clicking on the stars at the top of the screen whether you have accepted the answer given.

best wishes

RL

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the response. My concern relates to this link (which is from a South African legal aid website) https://www.legalwise.co.za/help-yourself/quicklaw-guides/maintenance (please read the 3rd bullet point below title "Who is entitled to receive maintenance?"). I look forward to your opinion.

Please copy the extract and post it in the window. or attach the information as a word document

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Parents are allowed to receive maintenance from their children if the parents have little or no income, and only if the children have the financial means to do so.

Kindly copy and paste the information for me to see.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've pasted the extract in question above and also attached the full page from the website in a work document