Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

Is an overseas civil marriage valid in the UK if it has not

Is an overseas civil marriage valid in the UK if it has not been registered in the UK
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do they live in?
Customer: I was married in the Seychelles to an Iraqi citizen he left the UK in 2018 and I dont know where he is I dont know if I am officially married or not
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi How can I help?

Where did the Civil marriage take place?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Jan 2013 in the Seychelles

Provided it is a Civil registry- it is recognised in accordance with English law!

The marriage does not need to be registered in the UK.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you I will think about a divorce then

Your welcome - I would be grateful if you could give me a positive rating by clicking on the above - I would appreciate it too and be able to help other customers just like you. Thank you