How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1770
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

My ex partner is named on our 10 year olds birth certificate

This answer was rated:

Hi my ex partner is named on our 10 year olds birth certificate she was born in 2012 , he wants / never had anything to do with her and he wants got give up pr as he wants vin me not to have to contact him for passport forms / how do we go about this
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I have just submitted a de poll for a name change
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: It wld be brent o m know it
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just what steps to take and also how my husband can get pr as if anything happened to me he wld look after her - she has only Lowenna him as her dad and has no idea the bf exists

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok what is your advise

You will have to have the courts agree to have the parental responsibility removed. Obviously if the father is wanting this to happen then it will be a simple case of going to the court and having a legal agreement put in place. Your solicitor will be able to do this rather simply for you, however, I would advise using a solicitor to do this to ensure it is done properly. In terms of changing your child's name, you will need the proof of the father's consent for this to happen, but from what you are telling me it doesn't sound like you will have any issues in doing this. When you go to court you will be looking for the judge to issue a Parental Responsibility agreement/order.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Kind regards


Ross Miller and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you