Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

I married a gambian in the gambia in June 2016. I want us to

I married a gambian in the gambia in June 2016. I want us to divorce and he is agreeable to this. How much will it cost to divorce in the gambia and what is the process?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I have taken no steps yet. Do we have to go through court? There is no dispute between us at all. We simply want to end the marriage.
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am in major stress as a result of this marriage. I have 4 children and none of them wanted this. They are so anxious that my husband would have rights over the property I jointly own with their father.

Hi How can I help?

You can either get divorced in Gambia or in the UK.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
would this be a straightforward process and not too costly?

If you file the divorce in the UK - The court fee is £550.00 needs to be lodged at your nearest family court. You can apply online or by post. You will be known as the Petitioner and the other party - Respondent. Once the court receives the divorce papers and you are here and he is in Gambia, the court will sealed copy to him over there. You would require his address in Gambia and the original marriage certificate to file the papers.

Provided your husband agrees to the divorce and agrees to sign the divorce papers - it should be swift and both parties agree.

You can find a family solicitor - www.lawsociety.org/uk - find a solicitor.