How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2390
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

I'm looking to file for a divorce and wondered if I can use

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I'm looking to file for a divorce and wondered if I can use a certified copy of my marriage certificate?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: not yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Coventry
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not sure
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 7 months ago.

Hi How Can I help?

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 7 months ago.

The court is very strict on this. You will require the original marriage certificate or a duplicate of the original from the court where the marriage took place. If you are unable to obtain one if it is loss you will need to get a letter from the court where you got married.