Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

After 23 years I've been approached by the child maintenance

After 23 years I've been approached by the child maintenance Service about unpaid monies that I knew nothing about . Having spoken to them I did not get a reason for the amount ( (£1259.45 ) but a threat of court action should I not comply. Needless to say I'm not keen on paying this money for a "child" that is 40 years old
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I've had no advice of in fact any previous knowledge of what to do
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Oxfordshire, I know that my exwife lives in the Hastings area which I think is Sussex
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Hi thank you for your message, unfortunately this is not unusual you should contact the CMS and point out that the “child” is in fact now 40 and therefore, you do not feel a claim now is either correct or enforceable. Furthermore, assuming it is enforceable, which you do not accept it is, you want a breakdown of the demand.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jeremy thank you for you response.I have contacted the CMS and have explained the age situation etc all to no avail The threat is still there and the amount of information forthcoming not much. I have determined that my Samson Oliver having left school then went on to start a college course , this I was unaware and I think caused the “debt” .i have asked for the paperwork to substantiate the amount and have discovered that a series of letters dated 1996/2000 were never sent out ,these letters were a series of demands.i lives at the same address from 1980 until 2012 so that I have always been traceable as well as contactable. All this the CMS is aware of but still remain intractable,In one somewhat heated discourse I stated that I would rather go to court than just pay up At this moment in time I’m not sure of my next course of action ,this is where i feel I need advice regards Shawn
Hi Shawn thank you for your message, they cannot get you to pay the money without justifying it. Definitely get a breakdown I know of one party that was initially told they owed £18,000 but then when they got the breakdown they found out that in fact the period of arrears covered a time when they were on disability benefit and eventually CMS confirmed they only owed £400 payable over two years!
Therefore, keep in contact with CMS but do not pay anything until they give you a full breakdown of the calculation.