plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I need a divorce. Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have

I need a divorce.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: i have been separated for 1 year. My husband left when I was suicide from wrong meds and discovered I had a gene disorder. Now my 14 year has It too. I need to know if I will have to sell the house and how to split assets or if it’s better to wait a year more. My son is sick too but as yet I diagnosed but I think I am getting close to finding his problem. He is 17 and with his dad. I do not want to split 50/50
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Uk Se14
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my property is worth 1,100,000 second home 360,000 mortgage left 360,000 his pension is £200,000 I have no pension. We both work he gets £95,000 I get £40,000. I don’t want to move my daughter as she is sick and the trauma might damage her getting better. I want my son back when he is better atm he is too violent

Hello, my name is Peter and I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Are you in a rush to divorce, or are you prepared to wait until two years have passed in order that you divorce by consent following two years' separation?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I could wait it depends on what is best for me financially.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ideally I would have liked to stay in the family home but I can not take on the mortgage. He said he wants £500,000
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
However I could sell when my daughter is older and keep the other property as my pension because that’s why I bought and renovated it

Apologies - the call request is automated by the site. I can't talk right now, though the request has been put onto the system for all experts and a colleague may pick this up.

My view on the timing is that you should wait for the two years to pass, this is then a 'no fault' divorce.

You should consider family mediation, as a route to reaching settlement.

Things will have to be divided fairly, so if no fair compromise can be reached a sale my be inevitable, particularly if thiere is a high value property as part of the mix.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Both properties in both names

Things will have to be divided fairly, so if no fair compromise can be reached a sale my be inevitable, particularly if there is a high value property as part of the mix.

Yes, I understand. So there will have to be some movement, again it all depends on what each of you can afford and what is fair in the circumstances.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Would it be 50/50 as I was abandoned with a chronic illness and I would still have the younger child at the home hopefully both of them
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Would he have to wait until the sick child is 18?