How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1754
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

My wife committed adultery and ended our 19 year marriage

This answer was rated:

Hi my wife committed adultery and ended our 19 year marriage and I moved out she says i still have to pay for her is this correct
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No not yet is this up to me to apply for a divorce .
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Carlisle
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been paying her car insurance, tv licence and her mobile phone contract until end of this month .
Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be of further assistance.
What do you mean by paying for her? do you have any children together?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She has 2 daughters that i have taken on as my own for 19 years,she said about spouse maintenance but wasn't going to ask for it

Thanks for the additional information.

She is not automatically entitled to spousal support. This is something she would have to apply for. Spousal maintenance is however means assessed, meaning, it is dependent on whether she is not working and unable to maintain a certain standard of living. Technically, you too can asked to be maintained if she earns and is a higher earner.

The above being said, I would recommend that you do not make any further payments until she applies to the court and obtains an order to that effect. This is however unless you would like to do so.

With respect to the children, as they were of the marriage, she could apply for maintenance. However, you are only required to pay maintenance for children over the age of 18, up to the age of 20 if they are in full time education.

I hope I was able to clarify things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance. Kindly indicate whether you have accepted the answer given by clicking on the stars at the top of the screen. All the best RL

ReadyLaw and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you