Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

I am a British and Bangladeshi citizen, we had to go through

I am a British and Bangladeshi citizen, we had to go through a divorce. Our Marriage happened in Bangladesh. I am about to obtain a divorce certificate from the Bangladesh government court. Do I have to obtain another divorce certificate from the UK?
As far as I know, Britsh court does not recognize or respect the Muslim sharia court but they respect Jewish courts. Bit discriminatory but we live with it. Now, my point is do I have to obtain two countries or one ok?

Hi How Can I help?

If you are looking to apply for divorce proceedings in the UK, you will require the original Civil Marriage Certificate from Bangladesh.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
do I need to have British again or Bangladeshi divorce certificate ok?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am about to get divorce certificate from Bangladesh . Is that enough?

Yes it is - is this where you got married.

Provided it is a recognised Civil marriage certificate it is recognised also in English law as well

I hope this answers your question

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
to reply to your question Lawyer 21, Do I need Britsh certificate? if so why? Can not i use Bangaldeshi ceritficate?

You can use Bangladesh Divorce Certificate

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Many Thanks. It is given me little ease.donnibad.

Your very welcome