How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6429
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My ex husband recently met a new girlfriend on the Internet.

This answer was rated:

My ex husband recently met a new girlfriend on the Internet. He has introduced my kids to her and her kids but now wants them to start sleepovers with him at her new house. Do I have a right to know where this is etc
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: yes I have a full Childrens act court order in place (6 month £700k battle)
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: no they nor I have to my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: children are 7 and 3

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

You don't have a right to know exactly where this is, if he does not want to disclose it. But in many cases a reasonable discussion about this is helpful - though by the sounds of the lengthy court battle this may not be possible.

If contact is court ordered and this includes overnights, as long as the children are safe there is no obligation for the location to be disclosed to you. Have you met the new partner, or do you have any concerns about her?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you. i know nothing about her at all, only my 7 yo has told me her name and kids names. My ex husband has not told me anything at all and if i ask will probably tell me to f off. He has shared custody seeing them every other weekend a nd a Tuesday teatime
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
including overnights

OK. I think its reasonable to ask for information about her, a bit of background and where her property is. If he refuses to give any information at all, you could ask that overnights at hers are not started until you have some more information, but if she has her own children and there are no concerns there, it's going to be difficult to put up resistance for long. As I said, if contact is court ordered he doesn't have to give all of this information. The key factor is the children - if they are unsettled by this and the relationship with this woman is still quite new it may be unsettling for them to be sleeping there if it's not clear whether the relationship has a future. You both need to be involved in decisions about the children, so some information would hopefully be forthcoming. Personally I think it's a positive to ask to meet her - if she is going to be looking after your children it would be better to see if you can try to get along, if at all possible.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That’s great thank you. I will write to him to ask for basic information and to meet her. Thanks for your help

My pleasure.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you