How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6631
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My granddaughter lives with her mother my daughter. My

This answer was rated:

My granddaughter lives with her mother my daughter. My daughter has split up with her daughters father. When my granddaughter visits her father he gives her nuts and sesame oil which she seems to be allergic to. Both parents have/had allergy to nuts. He seems to think he can cure her allergy to nuts by giving them to her and treating her with ginger and termeric. This is very worrying to us as we don't think he knows what he's doing. We don't want to stop him seeing his daughter but he seems delusional at times. What can we do? Thanks Anna.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My daughter has been talking to him by text but as he has my granddaughter with him we don't want to say too much until she comes home. He got quite angry about the subject
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this definitely free and can I talk on the phone?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm just reviewing your question.

I agree that this is not a child focussed approach to the issue. He is presumably not a medical expert and could be doing more harm than good.

Is there a court order in place for contact, or not?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No there is no court order
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm afraid I cannot afford £44 at the moment for a call
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm suggesting to my daughter that we get my granddaughter properly assessed for the allergies and then try and get some kind of order about how her condition is handled?

Thanks for confirming regarding the court order.

If your granddaughter is being placed at risk of harm by her father's reckless actions, then this is potentially a ground to withhold contact. However, you have referred to your granddaughter 'seeming' to be allergic to nuts.

I suggest that proper testing is carried out, and with this information your daughter can raise the issue properly, rather than speculatively. If he still refuses to agree to work together on the issue, she will have to consider mediation and potentially the family court where guidance can be put in place by a judge in a court order about what he should or should not do during contact.

It should not have to get this far though - with proper test results he should then see that refusing to acknowledge the harm this approach could result in is not in his daughter's best interests.

Can I clarify anything further for you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm afraid he knows she's allergic and thinks he can fix her by giving her nuts. We have recording on the phone of his idea that he can cure her with ginger and turmeric. He seems to want to give the 3 Yr old the choice of eating nuts and him treating her and not wanting to use the NHS. He says he's cured his own nut allergy.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think we need the testing for our own case if it reaches that far.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are there places where you can get mediation? Before it gets legal?

See here for mediation -

It sounds like this is a dangerous approach with such a young child, who may not be able to spot the signs of allergic reaction or vocalise their discomfort as clearly as an adult. My view is that the court will support your daughter on this issue.

I hope this clarifies things?

If so, please take a second to rate my response with 5 stars as this will credit me for my time.

Thanks and do let me know if you have further questions, follow ups are part of the service, even if you have already taken the time to rate for me.

Kind regards,


plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Exactly she is too young to be able to recognise throat swelling. Thank you for the mediation link.