How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3748
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I need help regarding permanent guardianship. My mother died

Customer Question

I need help regarding permanent guardianship.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: My mother died 3 years ago and my aunt got guardianship over my little sister. Thing is my aunt is an alcoholic, my little sister i getting neglected, emotionally abused and ahe started to threat her to physically hurt her. My sister was so scared 2 days ago because my aunt was getting really aggressive that she ran away and came to me. Shes been staying with me since sunday. What can i do to keep her away from my aunt and get guardianship over her. She's a 15 year old girl, turning 16 in October
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I do know where the court is i just want to know what can i do to keep my sister safe. My aunt knows where my sister is, she packed her stuff last night and i picked it up today so she basically kicked her out herself. She messaged me tonight asking to bring my sister back home on friday but shes absolutely terrified to go back.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats all thank youx
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 17 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, so social services would have been involved to put the special guardianship order in place and they can go back to court to get the order changed. Therefore, you should contact the local authority children services team about the current arrangement and how this can be changed. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.