How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5266
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I am currently going through court to get access to my

This answer was rated:

Hi.. I am currently going through court to get access to my child.. I am on the birth certificate but I have been informed my childs mother is on about moving away and changing his schools ..can she do that without my consent?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Yes I have first court date th 27th of this month
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: I have but I am going to the first hearing alone?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Essentially you should both be involved in decisions about schooling and also if a move away is going to frustrate contact you can ask the court to make an order preventing the move in the interim whilst the child arrangements are sorted by the court.

If you fear a move is going to take place before your court date then you may need to apply on an urgent basis to prevent this before it happens.

Can I clarify anything in particular for you?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How do I get an order preventing this?

It's called a prohibited steps order - you apply for it on the form c100 (the same form you will have used to apply for a child arrangements order).

See here:

Can I clarify anything further for you?

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Can I assist you further with your question?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sorry for delay... that was helpful thankyou

Happy to help and thanks for confirming that you got the message.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you