plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I have split up with my girlfriend and we have an 8 year old

i have split up with my girlfriend and we have an 8 year old daughter she is being diffilcult letting me see her and i want to know the correct steps to take to see my daughter as much as possble
JA: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no i havent done anything yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your daughter live in?
Customer: ashford, kent
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: please connect me to whomever i need to speak to for advice

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm just reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** want advise on correct way of gettting fair access to my daughter

Happy to assist. You will ultimately need a court order, setting out the contact that you have.

Mediation has to be the first point of call as it is a legal requirement prior to issuing an application in the family court.

The process is started by booking a mediation assessment appointment - see here for a link to find your local mediator:

http://www.nfm.org.uk/. Assessments are usually around £30-£40, and the mediator will advise as to how many sessions might be required.

Following that, if the mediation does not succeed in a successful resolution, you can apply to the family court for a child arrangements order, setting out the living arrangements and contact arrangements that you would like to see.

This is on form c100:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-c100-application-under-the-children-act-1989-for-a-child-arrangements-prohibited-steps-specific-issue-section-8-order-or-to-vary-or-discharge

You send 3 copies of this form to the local family court centre. There will be a court hearing after you send the form in and a family court adviser will be there in attendance too (from CAFCASS).

The application costs £215.00, and you can represent yourself so you don't need to engage a lawyer. You can possibly get a fee exemption if you are on low income/have low savings. You would need to fill out a fee exemption form (http://www.gov.uk/get-help-with-court-fees)

Can I clarify anything at the stage?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks

Happy to assist.

If you do have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter