How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6910
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I have split up with my girlfriend and we have an 8 year old

This answer was rated:

i have split up with my girlfriend and we have an 8 year old daughter she is being diffilcult letting me see her and i want to know the correct steps to take to see my daughter as much as possble
JA: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no i havent done anything yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your daughter live in?
Customer: ashford, kent
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: please connect me to whomever i need to speak to for advice

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm just reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** want advise on correct way of gettting fair access to my daughter

Happy to assist. You will ultimately need a court order, setting out the contact that you have.

Mediation has to be the first point of call as it is a legal requirement prior to issuing an application in the family court.

The process is started by booking a mediation assessment appointment - see here for a link to find your local mediator: Assessments are usually around £30-£40, and the mediator will advise as to how many sessions might be required.

Following that, if the mediation does not succeed in a successful resolution, you can apply to the family court for a child arrangements order, setting out the living arrangements and contact arrangements that you would like to see.

This is on form c100:

You send 3 copies of this form to the local family court centre. There will be a court hearing after you send the form in and a family court adviser will be there in attendance too (from CAFCASS).

The application costs £215.00, and you can represent yourself so you don't need to engage a lawyer. You can possibly get a fee exemption if you are on low income/have low savings. You would need to fill out a fee exemption form (

Can I clarify anything at the stage?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks

Happy to assist.

If you do have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you