Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My wife and I are currently going through a separation and

Hi. My wife and I are currently going through a separation and the house is on the market. She wants to reduce the price further as she feels that it is onthe market for too much. She says that it an estate agent or surveyor was to come and price our property lower then I legally have to reduce it and cover all costs. Is this correct?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northampton Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The price has been reduced twice already and it’s on the market for £355k. The estate agent is saying it’s maybe nearer the £350k mark. But we have had no offers but plenty of viewings and my argument is that we can’t keep reducing it.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that’s it thanks

Hi thank you for your message, no you are not legally obligated to keep lowering the price until it sells. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your reply Jeremy,very helpful indeed.
I have verbally agreed with my wife to a 60/40 split on the proceeds of the house which should be £150k once the mortgage has been settled. We have two boys aged 6 & 9 and I have agreed child maintenance. She earns slightly more than me. Where do I stand regarding how much of the split do I have to give to her?
Hi thank you for your message, so in terms the remaining assets the starting position is 50/50.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. She seems to think that she can get more out of me if she was to take me to court. Do you think I’m silly to offer a 60/40 split? . She keeps insisting that I lower the house price but won’t offer a change on the split.
No I disagree, I think she wouldn’t get more. If the 60/40 is in her favour it’s generous but not stupid no as it should lead to her resolving matters quicker. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.