plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My ex insists that I have to pay for half of any extra

Good morning. My ex insists that I have to pay for half of any extra curriculum activities like summer camps and other courses she puts my son on. I am currently paying full child maintenance as if my son stayed with me less that 52 days a year, however I look after him every second day. This means that on top of the full child maintenance I also pay for his dinner and entertainment when he's with me (no complaint there). Up and above that I also pay half or more of few weekly activities. Whilst I'm happy to pay for some activities my finances are limited. So my question is: does my ex has any legal ground to request for me to pay for half of activities I don't agree on, like language oriented summer camps or similar?

Good morning and thanks for your question. I'm not able to respond until later but I will come back to you with a response today. Kind regards, Peter

Thanks for your patience.

Can you confirm for me why you are paying more CM than you should be - is the CMS involved or is this a private arrangement?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This is a private arrangement not formal or anything through CSM. I just agreed to pay for some additional things under the threat of only being allowed to see my son every couple of weeks and just for a few hours.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The question is not what I'm paying just now. The question lis if she has legal grounds to ask for me to pay half of any summer camp thatschae decides to put my son on?

There is a presumption that both parents will contribute towards costs of bringing up children, but this does not necessarily extend to you having to foot the bill for summer camps - unless they fall during your time of the summer holidays of course.

The only legally enforceable way to make you contribute is by applying for a court order - at which point your CM payments would also most likely be looked at and reduced in line with the contact you actually have - or at least the case would be referred to the CMS.

You can't be held to ransom over threats of withholding contact - the issues of financial support and contact are not tied together legally.

I hope this assists?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks a lot for your reply. It does help a lot. Much appreciated.

My pleasure, kind regards.