Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

I was wondering do you need to own a property to legaly let

Hi i was wondering do you need to own a property to legaly let it. Or can you let a property with the owners cosent? /
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: devon
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi How can I help?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i would like to know if i need to own a property to be able to let it

If you need to find out who the owner of the property is - you can check on the land registry site and pay a fee of £3.00 to obtain ownership details. If the property is rented by you and you are looking to sub-let it then you need to seek the owner's permission unless the Tenancy agreement says otherwise.

If you own a property and wish to let it out - you would need to let your lender (Bank) now about this and obtain Consent to Let in order to do this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i know the owner and he is happy for me to let it.is this legal

You should download a copy of the ownership to ensure it belongs to him or not. Plus whether it has a legal charge on it and whether the owner can give you permission to let. You should not go ahead and let it without carry out theses checks first

There could also be a restriction preventing it to be let out!

If all checks prove out to be fine - then you can let it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok thanks. so providing these things check out its ok

Thank you and all the best

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thans again

Before you go, I would be grateful if you could give me a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit - I would appreciate it