How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3123
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I'm in the process of divorce. I will start the online

This answer was rated:

Hi I'm in the process of divorce. I will start the online process today, we not living toghether since May 2019. Childs lives with me, when my ex prtner needs start to pay maintenance?? is this up to the end of the divorce process??

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Are you asking about maintenance for you or for the child?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
For the child I have 2 daugthers little is 7 years old and oldest is 18 and she is full time student

He should be paying child maintenance now.

If you and he cannot agree an amount between the two of you, then you will need to apply to the child maintenance service (CMS) for assistance. I would suggest contacting them immediately however, as they do not backdate payments, they assess only from the date you contact them going forward.

You will be able to discuss other marital finances during the divorce procedure if either one of you makes an application for a financial settlement.

You can contact the CMS here:

Can I clarify anything for you?

SASH_Law and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ohh thanks a lot Great response

You're very welcome.

All the best.