SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Reason of my separation is Adultery. It was done on January

Hi reason of my separation is Adultery. It was done on January 2019, so after that we stop living toghether, we split on april 2019. Can I do Adultery as reason of divorce, as it has now more than 6 months?

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Is your husband prepared to accept that he cheated - or do you have confirmed evidence of him cheating?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello adultery was done by my wife I'm a Male, and yes she is prepared to accept it

Sorry for mixing up your genders.

As you discovered the adultery more than six months ago you cannot now use that as a ground for divorce. If you had wanted to use it as a ground, you would have had to do so within six months of finding out.

You can, however, use unreasonable behaviour as a ground and state that part of that unreasonable behaviour was your wife having a sexual relaitonship with someone else.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But after the adultery we stop living together. So adultery was on January and we stiop living together in end of may same year

But you continued to live together after you found out, and did not file for divorce within six months of finding out, therefore, under the law (Matrimonial Causes Act 1973), you do not meet the criteria for that ground.

Can I assist you any further?