How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1194
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I am having issues with my ex husband. We live in Brazil now

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i am having issues with my ex husband. We live in Brazil now and are still legally married although we seperated 10 years ago. We made a financial settlement when we split up all apart from a building we own in primrose hill london. he will not acknowledge that i have any rights even though it was bought during our marriage in london. my name is ***** ***** the onership document and i relly need to persue this through legal means as he does not want to be fair with me. I need to get the building evaluated as i feel he is also lying to me as to its worth and he is trying to block my evaluators from going in there. i need some advice on what my rights are and what possible percentage i could hope to gain when i pursue this in court as it looks like it will come to that?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I ahve taken no steps as of yet apart from to tell him that i was going to get legal advice
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: We live in Brazil and the property is in London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i was in an abusive marriage and then he ran off with another women in brazil after manipulating me into coming to live here. I never asked him to open his financial books to me when we seperated as i was in a very broken frame of mind and i jsut accepted his payout , terms and conditions. if we went to court would he be forced to open up his financial books?

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.

the best way forward for you is to instruct a lawyer in Brazil to make an application to the court for an order in relation to your entitlement to an interest in the house. The general position is that as the property was acquired during marriage you may be entitled to an interest in it. The court would however have to decide how much.

I would not recommend that you do a valuation now as it is likely that once the matter goes before the court the court will make an order for an expert to go out and value the property before a decision is made.

I hope this helps. Do let me know if I may be of further asistance. Kindly indicate whether you have accepted the answer given by clicking the stars at the top of the page.

All the best


ReadyLaw and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
so even though the property is in london, I would need to apply to a brazilian court to get the process started?