How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1157
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

I need to DNA test a newborn for paternity in order to make

This answer was rated:

Hi, I need to DNA test a newborn for paternity in order to make sure it's my child before I start paying child maintenance. I need a legal representative to deal with the case on my behalf. Is that possible in the UK? Thanks
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet. I'm looking for a lawyer to represent me in the process.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I love in London live in *
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know if a lawyer is able to take over the case and represent me in court? To ensure that the child is mine before the court, I'd prefer if a lawyer attended all proceedings. Do such court proceedings require my attendance?

Hi How can I help?

I will read your question and respond

You would not require legal representation for the purposes of carryout a paternity test. However, you can look for one using this link

You can also use the following link to take paternity test.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yes, I know I can arrange the paternity test myself. I'm wondering if a lawyer can attend any court hearings on my behalf.

Yes once you establish that the child is yours you are required by law to pay child maintenance to support your child. Yes the lawyer can attend on your behalf to represent you in respect of the Child custody proceedings before the Family court

I will send you more information in respect of this

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you.

In order to apply to the court, you will need to fill out and send form C100 (copy attached) with a cheque of £215 payable to HMCTS to your local family court centre. Or you can ring the court and pay over the phone (or pay in person if you go directly to the court and pay at the counter).


If you are on low income/have low savings you can apply for a fee exemption here:

The court will order arrangements for you to see them on specified days and for how long if you cannot agree this with your ex partner. You can also ask for joint custody so they live with you for part of the week if you wish.


If custody (shared or full custody) is to be considered then the welfare checklist of the child is relevant :

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would like to secure the child’s wellbeing and support the child financially as required by law. I need a good legal representative that can help me with the court proceedings and physically attend the court sessions on my behalf.

You need to contact a mediator as the court will want to know whether you have attended mediation first before involving the court - the mediator will contact your ex and if she refuses to attend then you are free to make the application to the court. This is called “MIAM”, or a mediation assessment.


To find a mediator in your local area, use this site :

Thank you

Lawyer21 and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

I would be grateful if you could give me a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit - I would appreciate it

You would also need to attend the court hearings - you are a party to a proceedings. I

All the best and stay safe

Please do remember to provide a positive rating by clicking on the above stars and press submit - many thanks