How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 23186
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My Dad has dementia and I look after and live with him 24/7

This answer was rated:

My Dad has dementia and I look after and live with him 24/7 and my Mum
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: My brother has power of Attorney not me and I found out my sister was taking
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My sister was taking money from my dads account without his permissionso I cancelled the card. My brother got angry and assaulted me afterwards. No w I have found out my brother has gained access to my Dads account..They went to the bank a couple a weeks ago to do this! I want to stop my brother doing this. I rang the bank to tell them my dad had dementia and my brother took advantage of him. The bank official said he wouldn't help me as my brother has power of attorney over Dd. What can I do to stop this and my brother from taking my dads money without him knowing. I am very angry and want to protect my dad above all!

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Just to be clear, you are asking about the funds not the assault?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The funds more importantly I want the bank to stop my brother doing this!
Customer: replied 4 days ago.

I have been also look at this for you.


There are a few things you can do.


It’s going to be a waste of time going to the police because they will say that your brother has the authority to do this. Nonetheless, it wouldn’t stop me reporting it.


The next thing you can do is go to social services because this is abuse of a vulnerable adult.


The third thing you can do is put your complaint in writing to the bank and ask them to freeze the account telling them that you have done what I’m now about to tell you.


You can refer the matter to the Court of Protection is abuse of position and abuse of a vulnerable adult and ask them to revoke the power-of-attorney. It’s better if you do that having told them that you have been to the police and social services.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 23186
Experience: Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Stuart J and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you