MARCUS Malin
MARCUS Malin,
Experience:  Consultant Solicitor at Setfords
66642005

How do you keep records of divorce? I am looking for

How long do you keep records of divorce? I am looking for documents dating back to 1995 my name then was Mrs Jane Mills
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, I am searching for documents refering to the purchase of a small property in Cornwall bought by my ex husband Robert Mills my solicitors then were Faulkners but I believe they ceased business in 2005. I am now embroiled in a boundary dispute with a new neighbour who has encroached into my very small property. He has been there for 2 years, I have owned this property for 25 years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Yes and I have to say they are being absolutely hopeless. I am a widow of 80 trying to live on a very tiny pension and am trying to do this through my Insurance company The NFU . The company I am dealing with are prepared to hepl me privately at two hundred and fifty pounds an hour! If I could afford that I would have gone to my own solicitor in Truro!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have Land Registry deeds for myself and the lady who bought this proerty 5 years before me, also a copy of the deeds of the neighbour who is a property developer. He has done this sort of thing before. I need to move back to Oxfordshire soon where my family all live but will be unable to sellthis house if the deeds don't tally with the new boundary.

Hello, my name is Marcus.

You mention papers relating to s divorce but also refer to a property dispute.

In either event papers are usually only kept for 6 years - certainly that would be the case for the property matter.

As with divorce if there was children then technically they should be kept until the children are 18.

What are the actual papers you require.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I need documents relating to a property in Cornwall, I have those registered in Land Registry but the lawyers I am trying to deal with say they aren't necessarily legally binding! I made a mistake in my mobile phone number, it should be 0777 306 1887. Sorry