How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARCUS Malin Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1996
Experience:  Consultant Solicitor at Setfords
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
MARCUS Malin is online now

How do you keep records of divorce? I am looking for

This answer was rated:

How long do you keep records of divorce? I am looking for documents dating back to 1995 my name then was Mrs Jane Mills
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, I am searching for documents refering to the purchase of a small property in Cornwall bought by my ex husband Robert Mills my solicitors then were Faulkners but I believe they ceased business in 2005. I am now embroiled in a boundary dispute with a new neighbour who has encroached into my very small property. He has been there for 2 years, I have owned this property for 25 years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Yes and I have to say they are being absolutely hopeless. I am a widow of 80 trying to live on a very tiny pension and am trying to do this through my Insurance company The NFU . The company I am dealing with are prepared to hepl me privately at two hundred and fifty pounds an hour! If I could afford that I would have gone to my own solicitor in Truro!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have Land Registry deeds for myself and the lady who bought this proerty 5 years before me, also a copy of the deeds of the neighbour who is a property developer. He has done this sort of thing before. I need to move back to Oxfordshire soon where my family all live but will be unable to sellthis house if the deeds don't tally with the new boundary.

Hello, my name is Marcus.

You mention papers relating to s divorce but also refer to a property dispute.

In either event papers are usually only kept for 6 years - certainly that would be the case for the property matter.

As with divorce if there was children then technically they should be kept until the children are 18.

What are the actual papers you require.

MARCUS Malin and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I need documents relating to a property in Cornwall, I have those registered in Land Registry but the lawyers I am trying to deal with say they aren't necessarily legally binding! I made a mistake in my mobile phone number, it should be 0777 306 1887. Sorry