SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

My marriage has collapsed and I feel I have nowhere to turn

My marriage has collapsed and I feel I have nowhere to turn especially due to the current situation the country is in.. my wife is the majority earner and holds all the cards and we have a boy. She is talking about us living together living separate lives to pay more of the mortgage and save around 15k if I take that payout
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: None just happened the last 2 weeks
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t want a big legal fight worries about my future what rights do I have. I also feel she talks that I am moving to fast and when it comes to access it would be shared but what happens if I cannot do a bit more

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Is the house in joint names?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes

How long is the marriage/relationship in total?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Been together since 2001 and married in 2005 (15 years married in sept)

Your marriage is considered long, therefore the starting point for distribution of your joint assets is 50/50.

You are entitled to remain in the marital home if you wish, but you are not obliged to. Leaving will not change your entitlement to a 50/50 share (unless there is a specified deed indicating the split is otherwise).

Pensions, savings and other assets are also part of the marital pot.

When deciding how to split assets the court considers each party's needs and the needs of any children, and uses the factors in s25 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973.

If you can agree shared care of your child, then that is the best way to do it - if you can't, mediation is an option and a final resort is court for a child arrangements order.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

You're welcome.

Kindly take a moment to rate positively as that is how I am paid for assisting you. Thank you!