Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

My question is covid-19 related. We are separated parents of

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My question is covid-19 related.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: We are separated parents of a child. The father applied for volunteering role without discussing it with mother. His role potentially could involve delivering food to people in need and driving people to doctor appointments etc
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: While this is obviously a noble role, I (mother) is strongly agains exposing myself to additional risk of getting covid. I could not obviously prevent father contacting our child either This is risk to my life I am not ready to take and father is reluctant to withdraw his volunteering application What can I do about this? Father contacting the child regularly
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thai is it. Thank you
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm do you have a court order in place?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No we haven't had any court proceedings yet
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I just need general advice on my further actions. By restricting his access to child I potentially break the law but at the same time it is human right not to expose yourself to additional risk of death
Hi, thank you for your message. I would advise that you let him know about your concerns and that you do not want to put your children at risk of getting the virus. You should arrange that he sees his children via social media such as facetime, skype etc. He should understand this given the circumstances we face. I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Father also acts irresponsible
He is expressing intention to take kid to the park and forest
He took her to the cafeteria a day before all cafes were shut, despite of general advice
He is currently is not following lockdown recommendations- staying home and not visiting family members
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Joy, I have already expressed my concerns and his reply is "I am sorry you cannot dictate me what to do"
He also wants to see his child regularly face to face, not via skype etc
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Am I allowed to restrict his visitings without breaking the law?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am the main carer now as I live with kid and the father lives elsewhere
Hi, thank you for your message. As there is no court order in place you will need to reach an agreement between you. If you restrict access, which is understandable in these circumstances, I would advise that you apply for a specific issue emergency order from the courts. Such an order may work in your favour in these circumstances as you are restricting access due to the current circumstances. You will need to explain this to the courts. I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today